Rapid City, S.D. – On Thursday, June 16, the Rapid City Police Department conducted alcohol compliance checks at local establishments. A total of 20 establishments were checked; 18 were found to be in compliance.
Two of the establishments, Pacific Cafe at 1204 E North St. and Don’s Valley Express at 3343 Haines Ave., sold alcohol to an underage police informant. The sellers, Wei-En Huang (age 39, employee of Pacific Cafe), and Lavern Ebright (age 42, employee of Don’s Valley Express), were issued court appearance required citations.
Furnishing alcohol to a minor is a Class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by 30 days in a jail, a $500 fine, or both. The following establishments were in compliance:
1. Hot Spot Casino 420 E St Patrick St
2. Robbinsdale Rec Center 805 E St Patrick St
3. Boyds Liquor Mart 909 E St Patrick St
4. Blue Lantern Lounge 1200 E St Patrick St
5. Family Thrift Liquors 1516 E St Patrick St
6. Market Square Casino 1624 E St Patrick St
7. Pauly’s Pizzeria and Sub Co 1624 E St Patrick St
8. Happy Jacks Casino 1601 Cambell St
9. RC Aerie Eagles 1410 Centre St
10. Poker Joe’s 211 Cambell St
11. On The Border 1331 E North St
12. Corner Pantry 901 E North St
13. Chili’s Restaurant 2125 Haines Ave
14. Applebees 2160 Haines Ave
15. Haines Ave Casino 1735 Haines Ave
16. Rushmore Plaza Holiday Inn 505 N 5th St
17. Prairie Bottle Market 13 New York St
18. Sports Rock 321 7th St
The Rapid City Police Department is committed to excellence in public safety. Protecting our community’s youth is a priority, and the Department will continue to conduct compliance checks in an effort to reduce underage drinking. Since Jan. 1, 2011, five alcohol establishments have failed alcohol compliance checks by selling to underage police informants.