January 16, 2009 - Alcohol Compliance Check
During the evening hours of Thursday, January 15, 2009 the Rapid City Police Department conducted compliance checks of alcohol establishments. A total of 18 establishments were checked, 13 of the establishments were found to be in compliance. Five of the establishments, Khoury’s Mediterranean Grill at 2520 W. Main St., Hana Restaurant at 2328 W. Main St., Jackpot Casino at 1415 N. LaCrosse St., Suite 3, Common Cents at 1909 N. LaCrosse St., and Roman’s Imperial Inn at 100 St. Joseph St. sold alcohol to underage police informants. The sellers, Fares Khoury (age 25), an employee of Khoury’s Mediterranean Grill, Kyeng SinYu (age 21), an employee of Hana Restaurant, Michael Wince (age 42), an employee of Jackpot Casino, Roger Flanagan (age 56), an employee of Common Cents and Natasha Maurer (age 32), an employee of Roman’s Imperial Inn were issued court appearance citations. Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor is a Class 2 misdemeanor punishable by 30 days in jail, a $500.00 fine or both. The following establishments were in compliance:
1. Common Cents 1129 W. Omaha St.
2. Eighth Street Casino 2201 Mt. Rushmore Rd.
3. Black Hills Coffee 5955 S. Highway 16, Suite G
4. South City 640 E. St. Patrick St.
5. BJ’s 701 E. St. Patrick St.
6. Cenex 1160 N. LaCrosse St.
7. Wal-Mart 1200 N. LaCrosse St.
8. Boston’s Restaurant 620 E. Disk Dr.
9. TGI Friday’s 2205 N. LaCrosse St.
10. I-90 Standard BP 2213 N. LaCrosse St.
11. Bosselman’s Truck Stop 2783 Deadwood Ave.
12. Rushmore Plaza Holiday Inn 505 N. 5th St.
13. Alex Johnson’s 523 6th St.
The Rapid City Police Department is committed to excellence in public safety. Protecting the youth in the community is a priority and we will continue to conduct compliance checks in efforts to reduce underage consumption of alcohol. Since January 1, 2009, a total of 5 alcohol establishments have failed alcohol compliance checks by selling to underage police informants.