Please remember to turn all cell
phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
Please remember to turn all cell phone off or to vibrate during the meeting.
AGENDA FOR THE CITY COUNCIL
City of Rapid City, South Dakota
6:30 P.M., Monday, March 2, 2015
ROLL CALL AND DETERMINATION OF QUORUM
INVOCATION (You are welcome to participate, but not required)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Veteran of the Month: Technical Sergeant Ronald G. Twining, Ellsworth AFB
2. Employee Awards
3. Special Recognition to the Division of Parks & Recreation
GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT
A time for the members of the public to discuss or express concerns to the Council on any issue not on the agenda. Action will not be taken at the meeting on any issue not on the agenda, except by placement on the agenda by unanimous vote of the Council members present.
NON-PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS -- Items 4 49
Open Public Comment Items 4 47
Close Public Comment
CONSENT ITEMS Items 4 47
Remove Items from the Consent Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
4. Approve Minutes for the February 17, 2015 Regular Council meeting.
Vacations of Right-Of-Way Set for Hearing (April 6, 2015)
5. No. 15VR001 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying and Consulting Engineers, Inc. for Koser Enterprises LLC for a Vacation of Section Line Highway for property generally described as being located in the northwest corner of the intersection of Deadwood Avenue and Lien Street.
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications Set for Hearing (March 16, 2015)
6. Continental Leisure Inc DBA Carousel Casino, 2050 W Main St for a Retail (on-off sale) Wine License
7. Rapid City Area Chamber of Commerce for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for May 21, 2015 at Hurricane Fitness, 157 East Main North Street
8. South Dakota Democratic Party for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for March 26, 2015 at Prairie Edge, 606 Main Street
9. Rapid City Central High School Baseball for a SPECIAL EVENT Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for March 21, 2015 at National Guard Armory, 3650 Range Road
Public Works Committee Consent Items
10. No. PW022415-01 Approve Change Order #1 to Mainline Contracting for Meadowbrook Galleries Demolition, Project No. 13-2129 / CIP No. 51014, for an increase of $29,880.93.
11. No. PW022415-02 Approve Change Order #1 to RCS Construction for Horace Mann Pool & Park, Project No. 13-2090 / CIP No. 50948, for an increase of $731.00.
12. No. PW022415-03 Approve Change Order # 1F to Precision Mechanical for Jackson Springs Water Treatment Plant Supplemental Heating, Project No. 14-2213 / CIP No. 51061, for an increase of $1,880.00.
13. No. PW022415-04 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Current Year Tandem Dump Truck for Water Utility Maintenance. Estimated Cost: $120,000.00.
14. No. PW022415-05 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Pavement Rehabilitation Project Copper Hill Area, Project No. 15-2238 / CIP No. 50844. Estimated Cost: $325,000.00.
15. No. PW022415-06 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Nordby Lane Reconstruction, Project No. 14-2175 / CIP No. 50803. Estimated Cost: $1,500,000.00.
16. No. PW022415-18 Authorize Staff to Advertise for Bids for Long View Road Water Transmission Main Extension, Project No. 12-2013 / CIP No. 50900. Estimated Cost: $2,300,000.00.
17. No. PW022415-07 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Amendment No. 2 to Agreement between the City of Rapid City and FMG for Professional Services for the Rapid City Utility Maintenance Facility, Project No. 13-2120 / CIP No. 50870 for an amount not to exceed $39,172.70.
18. No. PW022415-08 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and American Engineering and Testing Inc. for Sampling, Analysis, and Reporting Related to 2015 Environmental Monitoring for the Rapid City Municipal Landfill, Project No. 15-2250, in the amount of $89,884.94.
19. No. PW022415-09 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Advanced Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. for Design and Bidding Professional Services for E. Custer Street Reconstruction Milwaukee to Racine, Project No. 14-2211 / CIP No. 50916 and E. College Avenue Reconstruction Milwaukee to Racine, Project No. 14-2212 / CIP No. 50918, in the amount of $164,665.00.
20. No. PW022415-10 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Agreement between the City of Rapid City and Ferber Engineering Company, Inc. for Design and Bidding Professional Services for Dyess Avenue Reconstruction and Downstream Drainage Channel Improvements, Project No. 15-2032 / CIP 50934, in the amount of $250,320.00.
21. No. PW022415-11 Authorize lowering the percentage of work that the Contractor must perform, with their own organization, from 50% to 35% for the Ellsworth Air Force Base Water Meter Facility Relocation, Project No. W11-1936.
22. No. PW022415-13 Authorize Mayor and Finance Officer to Sign Section 5307 Urban Public Transportation Grant Agreement between the City of Rapid City and the State of South Dakota Department of Transportation.
23. No. PW022415-14 Authorize the Black Hills Farmers Market to Use Founders Park for the 2015 - 2017 Seasons with the appropriate ability for cancellations by staff.
24. No. PW022415-15 Acknowledge Discussion on HB 1232 Establishing a Methodology to Determine the Value of Small-Scale Electricity
25. No. PW022415-17 Acknowledge Report on Autumn Hills Bridge and have staff report back on the bridge inspections and funding at the May 26, 2015, Public Works Committee meeting.
Legal & Finance Committee Consent Items
26. No. LF022511-01 Confirm Appointment of Chris Connelly to the Hotel Business Improvement District (BID) Board
27. No. LF022515-02 Confirm Appointment of Sheri Heaton to the RSVP Advisory Board
28. No. LF022515-03 Authorize Finance Office to Issue a Treasurer's Check to First American Title Company in the Amount of $114,900.31 for the Purchase of the Kathryn Avenue Lot
29. No. LF022515-04 - Acknowledge December 2014 Sales Tax Report
30. No. LF022515-05 Acknowledge January 2015 General Fund Cash Balance Report
31. No. LF022515-06 Acknowledge FY2014 Annual Financial Report
32. No. LF022515-07 - Approve Request for Property Tax Abatement as Follows: Black Hills Federal Credit Union, 2014, $783.41; Barbara Macy, 2014, $1,063.99; Gary McKinnon, 2014, $484.13;
33. No. LF022515-15 Approve Request for Property Tax Abatement as Follows: Ed Eldridge dba First Dakota Enterprises, 2014, $469.28; Chadwic Jones, 2014, $612.19; Eilene Hollis, 2014, $505.95; Brad Bookbinder, 2013, $992.95; Brad Bookbinder, 2014, $1,084.97.
34. Acknowledge the Following Volunteers for Worker's Compensation Purposes: Colby Jenner, Lane Jensen
35. No. LF022515-08 Resolution No. 2015-020 Declaring Miscellaneous Personal Property Surplus
36. No. LF022515-10 Resolution No. 2015-021 to Amend the City of Rapid City Compensation Plan by Reclassifying the Position of Fleet Maintenance Coordinator
37. No. LF022515-11 Resolution No. 2015-018 to Amend the City of Rapid City Compensation Plan by Establishing the New Position of Environmental Process Specialist within Public Works per the 2015 Budget
38. No. LF022515-12 Resolution No. 2015-017 to Amend the City of Rapid City Compensation Plan by Reclassifying the Position of Solid Waste Collection Supervisor
39. No. LF022515-13 - Resolution No. 2015-016 to Amend the City of Rapid City Compensation Plan by Establishing New Pay Matrix for the Following Positions: Library Custodial Maintenance Worker I, Library Custodial Maintenance Worker II, and Library Custodial Maintenance Worker III
40. No. LF022515-14 Authorize Additional Vision Funding in the Amount of $600,000 from Vision Undesignated Cash for the Rapid City Sports Complex Phase 2 Project.
Community Planning & Development Services Department Consent Items (NONE)
Continued Consent Items (NONE)
Bid Award Consent Items
41. No. CC030215-02.1 Approve award of Total Bid for Pavement Rehabilitation Project Bogey Court, Byrum Court & Winged Foot Court, Project No. 14-2183 / CIP No. 50844 opened on February 24, 2015, to the lowest responsible bidder, Simon Contractors of SD, Inc., in the amount of $214,292.50.
42. No. CC030215-02.2 Refer 2013 Storm Damage Recovery Project, Project No. 15-2210 / CIP No. 51059 opened on February 24, 2015, to March 10, 2015 Public Works Committee Meeting.
43. No. CC030215-02.3 Approve award of Total Bid for Water Reclamation Facility Roof Replacement, Project No. 15-2241 / CIP No. 51059 opened on February 24, 2015, to the lowest responsible bidder, Black Hills Industries, Inc. dba Black Hills Roofing Company in the amount of $233,820.00.
44. No. CC030215-02.4 Approve award of total bid including ride control option for One (1) New Current Model Year Articulating Loader, opened February 24, 2015, to the lowest responsible bidder, RDO Equipment Co., in the amount of $83,570.00.
45. No. CC030215-02.5 Approve award of total bid for Rear Load Refuse Handling Truck, opened February 24, 2015, to the lowest responsible bidder, Sheehan Mack Sales & Equipment Inc., in the amount of $185,399.00.
46. No. CC030215-02.6 Approve award of Total bid for One (1) New Current Model Year 1/2 Ton 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box Pick Up, opened February 24, 2015, to the lowest responsible bidder, McKie Ford Lincoln Inc., in the amount of $27,450.00.
47. No. LF022515-14 - Approve Award of Total Base Bid for Rapid City Sports Complex Phase 2, Project No. 15-2234/CIP No. 50792 to J& J Asphalt Company, in the Amount of $2,020,808.25.
END OF CONSENT ITEMS
NON-CONSENT ITEMS Items 48 - 49
Open Public Comment Items 48 - 49
Close Public Comment
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items
48. No. 15PL008 - A request by Fisk Land Surveying and Consulting Engineers, Inc. for Lisa R. Schneider on behalf of the Estate of Patricia Berglund for a Preliminary Subdivision Plan for property generally described as being located at 5455 Berglund Rd.
Recommendation: Approve with stipulations
Legal & Finance Committee Items
49. No. CC030215-04.1 Discussion of the approved November 17, 2014 Settlement Agreement with the Department of Justice regarding Violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) at the Civic Center.
Recommendation: Forward without recommendation
Public Works Committee Items
Compass Committee Items
CIP Committee Items
Other Board, Commission & Committee Items
Alcoholic Beverage License Applications
Council Items & Liaison Reports
Motion for Delivery of Items from Committee
Planning Commission Appeals
Other Appeals Heard by the Council
PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Items 50 - 54
Open Public Hearing - Items 50 - 54 [Public Hearing Remains Open]
CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARING CONSENT ITEMS (NONE)
END OF CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARINGS CONSENT ITEMS
Close Public Hearing - Items 50 - 54
CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Item 50 - 52
Remove Items from the Consent Public Hearing Items and Vote on Remaining Consent Items
Community Planning & Development Services Department Items (NONE)
50. Black Hills Lutheran School for a SPECIAL EVENT Wine and Malt Beverage License for an Event Scheduled for March 27, 2015 at Zion Lutheran School, 4550 S Highway 16.
51. No. LF022515-09 Resolution No. 2015-008B Levying Assessment for Cleanup of Miscellaneous Property
Other Items Requiring Public Hearings
52. No. PW022415-12 Authorize Staff to Submit 5307 Transit Grant to the Federal Transit Administration in the Amount of $1,937,043 for Operating and Capital Assistance, Accept Funds if Awarded, and Authorize Signature of Associated Contracts.
END OF CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING CALENDAR
NON-CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING ITEMS Items 53 - 54
53. No. 15RZ001 - Second Reading, Ordinance 6033, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by Renner and Associates, LLC for DTH LLC for a Rezoning from Medium Density Residential District to General Commercial District for property generally described as being located at 519 Kathryn Avenue.
54. No. 15RZ002 - Second Reading, Ordinance 6034, An Ordinance Amending Section 17.06 of Chapter 17 of the Rapid City Municipal Code, Rezoning the within Described Property as requested by City of Rapid City for a Rezoning from General Agricultural District to Low Density Residential District I for property generally described as being located lying east of the current southern terminus of Nugget Gulch Road.
55. No. CC030215-01 Bill List for March 2, 2015